Military Divorce Rights
Divorce Rights - DoD Financial Management Regulations
Service Member and Military Spouse Divorce RightsThere's nothing worse than googling about military divorce rights, reading numerous pages, and then finding out that you are either reading dated information or even worse, reading misinformation.
Many internet links are still in place for previous editions of the Financial Management Regulations, so it is important to keep current on the latest changes by using the direct links to the official comptroller government site.
DoD 7000.14-R Volume 7B - Military Pay Policy and Procedures - Retired Pay
- Dod Financial Management Regulation DoD 7000.14-R (Main Index)
- Recently Published Changes to DoD FMR 7000.14-R
Below are links to the most frequently used DoD FMR Volume 7B chapters on military divorce rights. Often a topic will have aspects that are contained in several different chapters so it's important to get comfortable flipping (or clicking) amongst the different chapters in DoD 7000.14-R Volume 7B.
While some critical and frequently discussed topics are provided with direct links, this does not mean one should avoid reading the links provided in the main index
Too much reading? For a quick overview of military divorce rights, consider Military Divorce Tips.
Basic Pay Rates... and Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA) to Retired Pay
- Chapter 8, Basic Pay RatesLegislative and Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA) to Retired Pay April 2010, - contains COLA rates needed for high-three computations and more pay information.
Waiver of Retired Pay
- Chapter 12, Waiver of Retired Pay April 2010, - Read about service member's choices when waiving retired pay (for disability pay, etc.)
Former Spouse Payments from Retired Pay
- Chapter 29, Former Spouse Payments from Retired Pay Feb. 2009, - Read more here about service member's choices when waiving retired pay (for disability pay, etc.)
Survivor Benefit Plan Chapters 42-58
- See the discussion on the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) for a complete List of SBP Dod Financial Management Regulations.
Older Regulations - Before RevisionTake care when using search engines for military divorce regulations concerning retired pay. The older regulations are still available on the internet so depending on the case, you may or may not need to apply the most current regulation. Below are some links to some previous regulations.
- 1999 Chapter 12, WAIVER OF RETIRED PAY
- 1999 CHAPTER 29 FORMER SPOUSE PAYMENTS FROM RETIRED PAY
- 1999 CHAPTER 42 SURVIVOR BENEFIT PLAN (SBP) - APPLICATION OF THE PLAN
- 1999 CHAPTER 43 SURVIVOR BENEFIT PLAN - ELECTIONS AND ELECTION CHANGES
Aside from the Department of Defense Financial Management Regulations, there are also the U.S. Codes which can be found for further discussion of Military Divorce Laws.